Compensation Benefits and Policy Information
The compensation policy for Cedars-Sinai graduate medical education students is comprehensive, covering an annual stipend, housing allowance, reimbursements, insurance, retirement savings, healthcare, training, education and many other generous benefits. Read details about each of these benefits and access our Resident and Fellow Physician-In-Training Agreements.
Contract and Appointment Policy Information
Effective as of Jan. 6, 2019, physicians in training will receive annual stipends as follows:
- GL-1 - $58,345.59
- GL-2 - $60,215.78
- GL-3 - $62,586.14
- GL-4 - $64,760.78
- GL-5 - $67,000.66
- GL-6 - $69,740.70
- GL-7 - $71,828.36
House staff enrolled in Cedars-Sinai ACGME-accredited programs who start their training during their exemption period for licensure will be reimbursed for their initial application and license fees paid to the CA Medical Board (currently a total of $907.50). Licensed house staff enrolled in Cedars-Sinai GME programs who must renew their license during their training at Cedars-Sinai will be reimbursed for the renewal fee paid to the California Medical Board (currently $820).
House staff enrolled in Cedars-Sinai GME programs who must obtain an initial DEA certificate during their training and house staff with current DEA certificates who must renew their DEA certificate during their training at Cedars-Sinai will be reimbursed for the application fee paid to the Drug Enforcement Administration (currently $731).
House staff enrolled in Cedars-Sinai programs who must take USMLE Step 3 during their training at Cedars-Sinai will be reimbursed for the application fee paid to the Federation of State Medical Boards (currently $850
- Paid Time Off: Four (4) calendar weeks (20 days total) of paid time off each academic year to cover vacations, holidays and incidental sick leave* (if all sick leave hours have been used - see SICA below*).
- Family Leave*: By request.
- Sick Leave (SICA): 40 hours (5 days) each academic year for absences due to medical needs (illness, medical appointments, preventive care) for yourself as well as for those of certain family members, or for reasons associated with being the victim of violence.
- Professional Leave: provided under paid time off benefits; additional benefits vary by training program
*Pursuant to Cedars-Sinai Leave and Disability Management policies
Parking, uniform laundry service and lab coats are provided free of charge. Individual programs provide sleeping quarters and a subsidy to cover meals for house staff assigned overnight in-house call. Food service is available on campus at all times.
- Medical and Dental: Group health and dental insurance are provided for house staff and eligible dependents. There are premium costs for some options in both categories. Health insurance is effective the day the program is entered; dental insurance is effective six months from the date of entry.
- Flex Plan: House staff may have expenses for group health and dental premiums and child care expenses deducted from their stipend checks on a pre-tax basis to reduce Federal and State tax withholdings.
- Life: A $30,000 life insurance policy is provided by Cedars-Sinai. Supplemental life and accidental death insurance may be purchased.
- Professional Liability: Cedars-Sinai provides professional liability insurance coverage in such form and amounts as generally provided by the medical center with respect to events occurring during a Physician-in-Training's participation in the training .
- Disability: Cedars-Sinai provides long-term disability insurance. A contribution toward State Disability Insurance is also provided.
- Workers' Compensation: Cedars-Sinai provides Workers' Compensation Insurance, which pays medical and loss of income benefits for work-incurred illness or injuries.
- All house staff are required to have pre-hire health screening at Employee Health Services, as well as annual physical exams. Medical care for work-incurred accidents and illnesses is also provided..
- Work and Life Matters provides a full range of counseling and referral services to physicians-in-training enrolled in training programs sponsored by Cedars-Sinai. This also covers the trainee’s family.
- Cedars-Sinai provides an educational program regarding physician impairment, including substance abuse.
- Training in Basic Life Support and Advanced Life Support is provided by the Simulation Center.
- The Continuing Medical Education program offers many classes, which you may attend without cost.
- The Medical Library provides Medline and internet training free of charge.
- Individual programs may provide funding for professional presentations at state and national meetings, and for senior board review registration.
Women's Guild Simulation Center
Learn about some of the most advanced clinical skills training and technology in healthcare.
Have Questions or Need Help?
Contact us to learn more about Cedars-Sinai's education programs.